Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Vacation - Day 2

Drive 6 hours to the beautiful mountains! Stay inside and play board games!

Mr. Jack
2-player clue for grownups. Played 2 games with Justin, one as the detective, one as Jack. I won both, but it was his first game.





Dominion 
Got to break out my new organized box! Room for Dominion plus both expansions (and probably enough left over for the next one too!). Taught and played 2 games with Justin. He liked it. Unfortunately we didn't get to play it with more than 2. I think it's best with 3 or 4.





Agricola
All the excitement of subsistence farming in your own living room! I guess 200,000 Facebook users playing Farmville can't all be wrong. Hilary's self worth is strangely tied into how well she does at this game, so I feel somewhat guilty about the fact that I won 49 to 35.



Foodie Fight
Sara and Andy brought this. It's a trivia game for foodies, so there are questions about ingredients, wines, well-known chefs, etc. The questions were all right, though like many trivia games they ranged randomly from idiot-easy to nearly impossible. The game mechanics on the other hand seemed to be designed to make the game take as long as humanly possible. We came up with some rule tweaks on the fly to speed it up, but I'll never understand why so many trivia games seem to have never been play tested.
Sara/Andy defeat Chris/Hilary and Sally/Justin



Metropolys
Yet another game I picked up for cheap at the Black Diamond ding and dent sale. This is one I'd been excited to get since I'd first heard it described. It's an auction game with a spacial element - players are bidding to build buildings on a city map, and each bid must be made in an adjacent district to a previous bid. Each player has a couple of secret objectives that give them bonus points for building buildings in certain districts and certain configurations. The color scheme of the board looks a little like throw-up, but aside from that, I found it quite good.
Chris 49, Justin 37, Andy 33, Sara 23


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers